Excuse me I'm sorry for my southern twang escaping. I went to the Mountain state fair yesterday with my partner and it got me in southern mode! All kidding aside I woke up yesterday with a zeal for life and a plan for my day. I hopped on the treadmill and walked 3 Miles! For some reason counting the miles and not the minutes makes the walk so much easier for me. I guess the best way to describe it is that when I'm doing a 40 minute walk I occasionally flip back and forth between the time and distance and it seems too often that no time passes. It drags along and at that point becomes a chore. So I started looking at the mileage and that has seemed to make all of the difference. I hopped off after my 3 miles and I felt great! I just completed my first milestone on my way to becoming a spartan!
(Occasionally I will update my milestone list on my original post so be sure to go back and check to see what all I have left!)
Once my workout was done I relaxed and did some shopping for a while and then it was off to the fair! We had an amazing time (No rides were ridden) I don't trust carnival rides or any rides for that matter. I had purposefully eaten light that morning so that I could get my fill at the fair. We walked through the food area and the smell of the deep fried fatty fat fatts smelled sooooo good and I saw several giant turkey legs go by. there was so much heavenly aroma but we abstained at first to see what all the fair had to offer.
We went up to the livestock area and saw the Moo-ternity Ward (Completely Serious) and we saw all the exotic animals my favorite always being the Brahman Bull:
He is just so floppy and cute I want to hide in his neck folds..... I know sorry.
Anywhooooo
It was around this time that I had a little breakdown of sorts. We walked around and saw all of these animals young and old and with the exception of a select few "Show Breeds" I realized that all of these animals will meet an untimely, entirely not by their choice, end sooner or later. I got teary-eyed and turned to my partner and voiced my distress. He understood and we walked more. I started thinking about those turkey legs I saw when I came in and wondered how much steroids that bird was given to produce a cut of meat that large. I wondered about the quality of life of the animals that we eat everyday. I worried about my impact of my 27 years of eating meat nonchalantly and not knowing how many animals had to suffer so that I could lay back and balloon up to 374lbs at one point....
This is why I have decided to go vegetarian. It will be a slow process at first because I am currently off of Beef, Pork and Chicken but I still eat shrimp and seafood for the time being. I am slowly trying to replace my proteins with vegetarian alternatives (Tofu, Tempeh, Nutritional yeast, Etc...)
And before anyone asks I will not be THAT friend that faults anyone else who wants to continue eating meats. This decision is for me personally and I would never push it on anyone else.
Anyway....
It's time for a shower and a nap!
(Day 2 of 3 Miles!)





Your heart inspires me every day. Good job on your progress and vegetarian choice. Wish I could commit to it again. My max was 3 months and shrimp failed me lol. You can do anything you put your mind to.
ReplyDelete